Elevated blood pressure is a major risk factor for heart disease and the most significant risk factor for a stroke.
Diet, exercise and relaxation therapies are superior over drug therapy in cases of borderline to mild hypertension.
Conventional Treatment: Diuretics and/or Calcium Channel Blockers and/or ACE Inhibitors and/or Beta Blockers
These drugs are associated with side effects: fatigue, cold hands, trouble sleeping, impotence, loss of sex drive, dizziness, weakness, dry eyes and mouth and also an increase in triglycerides and a decrease in HDL. Please have your cholesterol levels checked when taking these drugs. Beta Blockers also decrease CoQ10, a valuable energy producer in the body.
1. Decrease consumption of saturated and trans fats by decreasing animal products.
2. Decrease sodium levels and increase potassium and magnesium levels to help decrease blood pressure.
3. Decrease consumption of coffee. Coffee increases blood pressure.
4. Manage stress by practicing relaxation techniques (deep breathing, yoga, tai chi, biofeedback, meditation, progressive muscle relaxation and hypnosis).
5. Supplement with Co Q10. It benefits the body even without deficiency.
6. Fish Oil and/or Flax oil also decrease blood pressure.
7. Hawthorn extract is an excellent protector of the heart and decreases blood pressure.
8. Rauwolfia serpentia is an Ayuverdic herb that is very effective in decreasing blood pressure.